- This event has passed.
Making a Difference: CRE Consulting Corps Assists Naval Air Station Oceana
Watch this engaging webinar to learn more about the CRE Consulting Corps and the challenges associated with a recent assignment for Naval Air Station (NAS) Oceana in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Confronting a budget funding only 60 percent of Installation expenses, Capt. John Hewitt, NAS Oceana’s Commanding Officer, crafted a vision to engage private sector partners to make use of underutilized Base real estate. The Navy reached out to The Counselors for help analyzing market realities and articulating actionable steps to implement Capt. Hewitt’s vision of “Future Base Design.” Hear about the Consulting Corps analysis and recommendations, including the potential for Public Private Partnerships to advance the Navy’s Future Base Design concept.
Consulting Corps Team Members were joined by a representative of the City of Virginia Beach:
- Jerry Turner, CRE, Team Lead
- Kirk King, CRE
- Bill Norton, CRE
- Skip Preble, CRE
- Reid Wilson, CRE
- Casey Kemper, CRE – Preliminary Site Visit
- Brian Solis, Special Projects Manager, Office of the City Manager, City of Virginia Beach
View video of Capt. Hewitt updating the Virginia Beach City Council (Nov. 24, 2020), describing the work of the Consulting Corps, and holding up the Consulting Corps report. (Reference to The Counselors starts at approximately 4:50.)
This project has generated press coverage including:
- Hampton Roads, Virginia, Wavy.com news site covers the City of Virginia Beach approval to help NAS Oceana find development opportunities for ‘underutilized’ land.
- This article about the local utility, a potential tenant of underutilized Base real estate, references the team’s work, pointing to the Consulting Corps as a “group of Consultants.”
- Dow Jones MarketWatch
- International Business Times